When we are at home or we invite friends to come over, we want the atmosphere to be warm and cheerful to the eye. Also for our our guest to say “wow!” “What a beautiful house!”. To accomplish this, there is no need to hire a designer, because knowing the basics you can do it by yourself, creating a beautiful interior, warm and stylish.
Define the purpuse
Firstly you have to define what you want to do in the room you are working on. Any luxury furniture or costly redo will make a house comfy if the idea behind is defined.
Start with the following
- Take your life style, family traditions, schedules and activities.
- Name and write the spaces you need. Sometimes a lightly change can give you what you need, a closet or studio for instance.
- Think about the zones that you can combine (Kitchen/Dinning, Bedroom/Wardrobe, etc.)
- Sketch a drawing of the space and do some trails locating the furniture you have in different locations
Think about the atmosphere you want to create
- Before you start to design your home, think about the atmosphere you want to create on that space and how you would like to feel in it; relaxed or energizing. It is particularly important to know will be only for you or to receive guests.
- Think about a color theme; calm or vivid.
- Which materials and textures you will use; warm and natural or plain and sophisticated.
- Use dimensional contrast, I mean, use big and small objects. This will help to avoid monotony and create an stimulate effect. The most important part is finding something to link all the objects (form, color, etc.).
Symmetry and balance for harmony
- If you have a asymmetrical space, you have two options to change it: trying to create a fake sensation of symmetry or highlight the peculiarities.
- Find a focal point in the room (chimney, frame or window) and create a symmetric interior around this object.
- Use vertical lines, this will make the space bigger.
- Add an accent. In other words, create the symmetry and then break it a little bit.
Color and texture, always together
You must analyze color and texture together because one influence the other an vice versa.
- Cold colors are Good for regions with warm weather or close to the beach. On the other hand, in a northern city would be to melancholic.
- Warm colors will create the illusion of a room two degrees warmer than reality.
- Vivid colors are not recommendable for bedrooms. It is better to use these colors in hallways or space where you do not spent time.
- If you use a specific palette of colors in the interior, it is important to change the texture to avoid monotony
- Lighting, the most sensual part of interior design
- Right lighting reflects mood and changes the environment of the space. The light flows through our emotions and thoughts. Using lighting, you can create whatever you want.
- Take advantage of the day light as much as possible, do not cover your windows.
- Use mirrors to add light and create the illusion of a bigger room.
- Artificial light can create a nice environment, therefore apply these ideas: chandeliers, wall lamps or even candles. This will complete your interior design.
God is in the details
Details are everything that make your home look like your home. Try to imagine the result in your mind.
- Choose your wardrobe with responsibility. Be conscious about the color and the material and how it will influence the space.
- The different elements might have something in common. For example, using different pillows is a perfect way to unify colors and textures.
- Windows design is an important accent of the space. It is better to choose a neutral color for the curtains, most likely it will not be boring soon
- Fabrics make any space warmer. You can put a shawl over the sofa. Use covers, blankets or pillows.
Choose what you like
You do not have to buy everything brand-new, the most important is finding the right place for the stuff we like the most.
- Clear up all walls. Put them back changing the layout.
- Pictures and frames that you like the most must become the main characters of the space. The light, the colors and the location of the furniture; you can organize them around those focal points.
- Do not put your frames too high, it looks better to the level of your eyes.
- Shelfs are important for the design because it helps to keep your space in order and you can place accessories and decoration at the same time.
- Plants and flowers help to inspire. It should be a must in your style
Palenque ruins Chiapas Mexico Framed photo paper poster$72.00 – $178.00
Embroidery table runner$145.50
Tenango wall ornament$135.00
Mexican traditional cuisine black and white Canvas$132.00
Embroidery table runner$99.00
Hand painted jewelry box$89.90
Hand painted ceramic candle holder$79.00
Detailed hand painted ceramic vase$69.90